After all the indulgence of Christmas, it’s refreshing to find recipes which are a treat but still light and offering good health benefits too! Made with almonds and coconuts its high in omega rich fats. We strongly recommend organic carrots for this recipe, which are rich in vitamin A and also a powerful anti-oxidant.
2 medium sized organic carrots
170g ground almonds
2 tbspn psyllium husk
50g desiccated coconut
1 tspn cinnamon
200g cashew cream (For recipe click here)
1 tbspn lemon juice
2 tbspn maple syrup
1 tspn coconut oil (Melted)
- Peel, then grate the carrots.
- Remove stones from dates and roughly chop.
- Then add all ingredients for the cake in to a food processor and pulse until a cake mixture is formed. Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor, use a large knife and chop ingredients in to small pieces, then mix well together.
- The mixture can then be poured in to a shallow cake tin, or rolled in to small individual bite size balls, around 15g in weight.
- For the icing mix the cashew cream, lemon, maple syrup and coconut oil together.
- Then cover the cake with a smooth layer of icing, and for the individual cakes a very small teaspoon on each one should suffice, or if you have a piping bag, pipe icing on!
Note: Psyllium husk, is an ingredient used in baking, it helps bind the cake mixture. It is easily sourced in health food shops.